GedScape is software that lets you view, manipulate, convert and extract text data from GEDCOM files (CSV, for import to Excel), for Windows-based computers.
GEDCOM is the de facto standard data format for exchanging genealogy data. The GEDCOM standard is defined by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Neither GedScape nor Tenset Technologies Ltd is associated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.All good genealogy database programs and many genealogy websites can generate GEDCOM files.
GedScape can be downloaded from this site. Initially it operates as a 30 day trial version. After the trial period purchase a registration code for the full, unrestricted, version.
- Browse a fully indexed family history created from your GEDCOM file, including indexes of individuals, dates & places.
- Easily view individuals and families, including photos, citations and notes with a simple, intuitive browser-style interface.
- Display charts including pedigrees, families, and descendants.
- View summary tables of individuals with links to their individual records.
- Create ancestor and descendant reports with photos and narrative descriptions.
- View a gallery of all photos.
- Export websites with all the display features of GedScape itself (i.e., GedScape is also a GEDCOM to HTML converter).
- Browse the low-level structure of a GEDCOM file (i.e. at the tag level) but with hyperlinks to move within the file.
- Convert GEDCOM to text/CSV files e.g. to extract GEDCOM data to spreadsheets such as Excel.
- Export new GEDCOM files with character set and text file conversion. Supports all valid character sets defined by GEDCOM 5.5.1 including ANSEL.
- Selectively exclude or 'privatize' chosen data/individuals from conversion/extraction or website generation, e.g. to remove specific individuals (and/or their ancestors/descendants), or to exclude individuals based on their date of birth so as to remove living people.
- Tag individuals to highlight them including in generated GEDCOM HTML pages.
- Supports the entire GEDCOM v5.5.1 specification so you can display all valid data.
- User Guide - A comprehensive User Guide is included (use the Help menu within GedScape).
- Download - Get GedScape by downloading it from this site. Initially it operates as a 30 day trial version. After the trial period purchase a registration code for the full, unrestricted, version.
GedScape does not have a fixed limit to the size of GEDCOM file it will work with, however in practice it is limited to files with no more than approximately 10,000 individuals. It is not recommended for use with larger files. If you have a very large GEDCOM you wish to have converted, we regret but GedScape is not suited to this task.
- You're a genealogy researcher and you need a quick and easy way to browse GED files without the hassle of importing them into your existing genealogy database
- GedScape is a great GEDCOM browser, just drop the GEDCOM files onto GedScape and they immediately display using a browser-like display.
- You want to import selected individuals only from a GEDCOM into your genealogy database
- open in GedScape, tag the individuals you want, export as a new GED file, then import that into your genealogy database.
- You want to share a subset of your family tree with others
- export a GEDCOM from your genealogy database, open that in GedScape, tag the individuals you want to share, re-export just the tagged individuals as a new GED file which you then distribute.
- You have a GEDCOM from a different system or platform which your genealogy database won't import
- open the GEDCOM in GedScape, then re-export as a new GEDCOM using a different character set e.g. to convert from ANSEL, ANSI etc. to UTF (Unicode).
- You want to remove all the citations, and/or notes, and/or multimedia, from a GEDCOM
- open the GEDCOM in GedScape, then re-export as a new GEDCOM but exclude citations/notes/multimedia.
- You want to transfer data from a GEDCOM into a spreadsheet e.g. Excel (i.e. convert GEDCOM to text)
- open the GEDCOM file in GedScape, re-export as a text/CSV file, then open that in the spreadsheet.
- You want to create a family tree website and your existing genealogy program isn't up to the job
- export a GEDCOM from your genealogy database, open that in GedScape, adjust preferences to get the appearance you would like in your GEDCOM website, export from GedScape as a website (thereby creating GEDCOM HTML files), then upload the HTML files to your web server.
- You need to save your genealogy data as a GEDCOM suitable for import on a different platform e.g. a Mac, or into a legacy genealogy program that requires ANSEL or ANSI format
- export a GEDCOM from your genealogy database, open that in GedScape, then re-export as a new GED file using whichever character set and/or line endings you need. GedScape supports virtually all character sets used in GEDCOM files.
No Annual Fee
When you buy a GedScape license it is a perpetual (i.e. not time limited) license to use the release of the software that is current at the time of purchase, and any subsequent releases that occur within your support period, on a compatible computer and operating system. You do not need to pay an annual fee or other recurring fee just to continue using the release of the software you obtained at the time of purchase. The support period is 1 year from the date or purchase.
Once the support period has ended, if you wish to use a later release of the software you need to upgrade. Discounts are available for customers who choose to upgrade within 12 months of the support period expiration date.
1. Windows 10/8/7/Vista PC required. Other systems e.g. Mac, Chromebook, Windows 10s, Windows XP, iPad not supported.